Has your book club read In Her Shadow, my supernatural novel about family secrets, lies and obsession? Would you like to suggest it to them?
I’ve pulled together a list of questions and possible discussion points that might help you. If you can think of any more great questions, please leave a comment – or let me know what your book group thought of my novel.
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read these questions if you haven’t already read In Her Shadow because they contain major spoilers regarding the plot and characters, including the ending.
- Have you ever had a paranormal experience? Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen a ghost or felt a presence? Do you believe that people can become possessed by a spirit of the dead? Describe your experience if you have had one or know anyone that has.
- How would you react if you were in Jessica’s shoes when she thinks her daughter is talking to her dead aunt?
- How would you feel if you thought your child had an imaginary friend? Did you ever have one when you were younger? Why do you think children sometimes have them? Discuss your friend if you had one and what they meant to you.
- Have you ever had a secret? Did anyone find out about it? Can you keep a secret?
- Izzy’s death was ‘accidental’ but her mum is convinced it was murder. How would you have handled this situation if you were Jessica?
- Izzy looks at her husband Darpak’s text messages on his phone? Do you think it’s acceptable behaviour for couples to look at each other’s texts/emails etc? How would you feel if your partner was doing this?
- Discuss the supernatural theme throughout the book. How effective do you think it is?
- Olivia has several premonitions, Pat Shelton dying, Pete getting ill, the fire at the school and later the goat. Do you think premonitions are possible? How can they be explained?
- At one point Jessica thinks Will may have had an affair and murdered Izzy. How do you think she should have handled this?
- Simon Parker is an expert who investigates paranormal activity. Do you believe they can monitor spirits and ghosts? Have you ever taken part in a paranormal investigation? Discuss any findings if you have.
- Classroom assistant Ryan Cameron was obsessed with Izzy, stalking her and keeping a shrine of her and Jessica’s teenage bedroom. How do you think Jessica felt finding this out? How do you feel about Ryan beating and torturing Will? Did you suspect Ryan at all?
- The book touches on the #MeToo movement with photographer Gavin Lawson showing a lack of respect towards women, including his assistant Amber and Darpak’s sister Nina. Do you think this adds to the story? What are your thoughts on the women fighting back?