Has your book club read Because She Loves Me, my novel about jealousy, obsession and murder? Would you like to suggest it to them?
I’ve pulled together a list of questions and possible discussion points that might help you. If you can think of any more great questions, please leave a comment – or let me know what your book group thought of my novel.
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read these questions if you haven’t already read Because She Loves Me because they contain major spoilers regarding the plot and characters, including the ending.
- Do you think Charlie was trying to control Andrew during their relationship? If so, what were some of the signs?
- If you were Andrew, how would you have reacted after Charlie’s outburst with the couple in the pub? And, her outburst about Kristi his cleaner? What would you think about her after witnessing both events?
- Charlie looked up Andrew’s details on the NHS database? How would you feel about that?
- Would Charlie’s intense/controlling behaviour worry you? The incident at the lake, making a sex tape, some of things that she said such as girls not liking her, scrolling through the ‘meet the team’ page where Andrew was going to work, the jealous rage when Andrew notices the woman in the park? How would you handle it?
- When Andrew’s bag of memories goes missing and he discovers Charlie took it do you think his reaction as justified? Would you have been angrier considering it contained memories of his deceased parents? How would you have felt about her going through your private possessions and taking them?
- Have you ever been the victim of a jealous partner or friend like Andrew with Charlie? What would you do? Have you ever been jealous? How did you react or deal with the emotions?
- There are a series of dramatic events: Harriet being burgled; Andrew’s fall; Kristi’s acid attack; Victor’s arrest; Karen’s death; Sasha’s death threat. Would you have confronted Charlie about them?
- When Andrew meets Karen’s neighbour Harold Franklin, he says a dark spirit has attached itself to Andrew. Do you believe in clairvoyants and psychics?
- When Andrew meets Charlie’s ex boyfriend Fraser he finds out more about Charlie’s behaviour. What would you do after finding out?
- How did you feel when you found out that Rachel was the murderer? Did you suspect her at all during the book?
- How did you feel about Andrew’s eye torture scene at the end of the novel? Did you find it hard to read? Did you think it was necessary as part of the story?
- What did you think about Andrew and Charlie getting together at the end of the book? What would you have done in Charlie’s position if you had been accused of doing something terrible by your partner?