Has your book club read Follow You Home, my novel about a trip of lifetime that goes horribly wrong? Would you like to suggest it to them?
I’ve pulled together a list of questions and possible discussion points that might help you. If you can think of any more great questions, please leave a comment – or let me know what your book group thought of my novel.
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read these questions if you haven’t already read Follow You Home because they contain major spoilers regarding the plot and characters, including the ending.
- Have you ever had a bad experience when travelling on holiday abroad? If so, what happened?
- Would you have been as open and trusting to strangers as Daniel and Laura were to Ion and Alina on the train when they first met? Would you have moved to the empty carriage compartment, as they suggested, to sleep?
- What would you have done after being thrown off the train with no passports, money or phone? Would you have followed the railroad tracks?
- How do you think you would react if you were in Daniel and Laura’s situation? Would you have wanted to run away and escape like Laura or want to stay close to home like Daniel?
- Daniel’s flat was broken into. . . Have you ever been burgled? How did you/do you think it would make you feel? How would you react if you discovered you had been ‘unburgled’?
- Would you install CCTV after a burglary as Daniel did? How do you feel about the world we live in now and CCTV being all around us?
- Who would you confide in about what happened? Would you have told the therapist Dr Clauda Sauvage and/or your best friend Jake as Daniel did?
- What did you think about Daniel hiring the private investigator Edward Rooney? Was it a good idea?
- On discovering the house in the woods, Daniel and Laura went inside? Would you have done the same? Discuss the reasons for and against going inside.
- Would you have gone to the police about what Daniel and Laura saw in the house in the woods when you returned to England? Discuss for and against going to the police.
- What would you do if you were taken hostage like both Alina and then later in the book, Laura, were?
- Did you like the way the book was written, not finding out what actually happened to Daniel and Laura until the end of the book? Would you have preferred it to have been written differently?